Rice, rice baby! We love rice. We also love sweet potatoes. We’re also not new to turning vegetables into “rice,” and this sweet potato rice is our new favorite! It’s nutrient-packed, endlessly versatile, and just as quick and easy as white rice.
We love enjoying this salty-sweet “rice” with our Spicy Mushroom Black Bean Fritters, Smoky BBQ Beans, Mexican Shredded Chicken, and more. That sweet + spicy combo? Perfection. Just 3 ingredients and 15 minutes required, friends. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Sweet Potato Rice
First things first, how does one even make a sweet potato “rice-like”!? After some trial and error, we found the best result came from roughly chopping the sweet potato by hand before blitzing it in the food processor.
After a few turns around the “dance floor” (a.k.a. blades of the machine…), the sweet potato is transformed into bits and pieces that are evenly sized and ready for cooking!
To cook the sweet potato rice, the potato bits and pieces are added to a hot skillet with olive or avocado oil and sea salt. It cooks in a thin, single layer for even caramelization and is done in less than 10 minutes! Yep, that’s it!
We hope you LOVE this sweet potato rice! It’s:
Quick & easy
& SO versatile!
It’s a wholesome side that pairs especially well with smoky and spicy dishes. Try it with our Spicy Mushroom Black Bean Fritters, Smoky Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas & Greens, 1-Pan Mexican Shredded Chicken, Smoky BBQ Beans, or Chipotle Tofu Chilaquiles.
More Sweet Potato Favorites
- Sweet Potato Wedges with No-Honey Mustard Sauce
- Cajun Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies (V/GF)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Easy Sweet Potato “Rice”
- 1 large sweet potato (we like Garnet or Jewel varieties // 1 large sweet potato yields ~4 cups shredded or 450 g)
- 4 tsp avocado or olive oil (DIVIDED)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (DIVIDED)
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into 1-2” pieces. Add the sweet potato pieces to a food processor and pulse/process using the “S” blade until broken down into very small pieces. We ran our processor on low for about 15-20 seconds.
- Heat a large rimmed skillet (cast iron or non-stick will work best) over medium heat. Add 2 tsp of the avocado or olive oil and 1/2 of the shredded sweet potato. Season with 1/8 tsp salt and stir to evenly coat the potato in the oil and salt. Then spread it out into an even layer and cook undisturbed for 1-2 minutes, until very lightly browned on the bottom. Toss the potato, spread it out again and turn the heat to low. Cover and let cook for 5–7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potato is fragrant and cooked through. Set aside the cooked “rice,” then repeat with the remaining oil, sweet potato, and salt.
- Leftovers keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for 1 month. Leftovers are best reheated in a skillet over medium-high heat for crispy results, or microwave for more tender “rice.”